This holiday season, as you celebrate with your loved ones, let flameless Mistic Electronic Cigarettes be a part of your home and family’s Christmas fire safety.
Home fires occur most often in winter, and fires around the holidays are particularly tragic. Not only are you facing all the usual fire hazards, but you’ve probably decorated your home with candles, dozens of strings of electric lights, and a brightly-lit (and flammable) Christmas tree!
Watering your tree makes a big difference - click to see for yourself.
Don’t let a fire ruin your holiday season - fire-proof your home against holiday hazards, and use flameless Mistic E-Cigs to reduce your risk even further.
Each year, about 1,000 people die in home fires caused by cigarettes and other smoking materials, so trading in your smokes for an e-cig is a great way to reduce your risk of a home fire.
As far as Christmas fire safety, start by checking your Christmas tree for fire hazards (scroll down for a safety checklist).
According to the National Fire Protection Association, the leading causes of Christmas tree fires are electrical failures or malfunctions and heat sources too close to the tree.
Luckily, Christmas tree fires aren’t that common, but they do cause an average of 22 injuries, 6 deaths, and $18.3 million in property damage each year.
However, fires that begin with Christmas trees tend to be more fatal than home fires in general (1 fatality in 40 Christmas tree fires compared to 1 in 142 total home fires). Dried-out trees ignite and burn very quickly, which is likely why Christmas tree fires are more common after Christmas Day than before.
So, what can you do to be safe this Christmas?
- Add water to the Christmas tree stand daily! If you buy a natural pre-cut tree, cut 2 inches off the bottom of the trunk so it can continue to “drink” water throughout the holiday season. Dispose of the tree quickly once it has dried out.
- Keep the tree at least 3 feet away from any heat source.
- Make sure the tree isn’t blocking or partially blocking an exit.
- Check your strings of electric lights for worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections, and get rid of any that are damaged.
- Don’t connect more than 3 strings of standard electric lights, and read the manufacturer’s instructions for number of LED strands you can safely connect.
- Always turn off the tree when you're away from home or after you’ve gone to bed.
- Check your smoke alarms! Having a working smoke alarm reduces your chances of dying in a fire by nearly half.
- Use your flameless Mistic E-Cig instead of tobacco cigarettes to reduce the risk of fire even further – no smoke, no flame, only battery-heated water vapor!